Wednesday, January 5, 2011

An enlightening experience in the dark



















When the electricity cuts out in siwa, which happens often and by often I mean at least once a fortnight, the whole town plunges into darkeness (as you can imagine). This usually lasts for around 10- 15 minutes whereby everyone either remains in position awaiting to be reboted, or attempt to carry on their business as usual about town. On most of the occasions this has happened I have been in the shop/office. I too tend to wait in the darkness, occasionally peering out the door to witness another seemly invincible boy on a bicycle nearly plough head-on into an oncoming donkey cart. Today however I was fooled into thinking that the 5 minute wait was all that was install for us. I sat patiently torch in hand hoping no one would raid the shop whilst I went unnoticed in the corner.


In this time Fathi the Siwan man who we rent half the shop from turns up. I had been designing some book covers for him recently and for this he decided that in return he would give me something back. Fathi is a quiet, deeply religious man with a big beard to prove it. He has written many books about Siwa and Siwan life which he sells in the shop and elsewhere in the town. His most recent book is a "fictional"

account of a man who took more than two wives. The book goes into depth about how manipulative they both were and how the poor man had to cope with their unreasonable demands which made a very unjust existence for him.


After reading it the only thing I could think was THAT'LL LEARN YER.


Anyhow, Fathi works as an anthropologist and is a very respected writer and man about town. He told me had for me a gift for me, a document which he had headed "Hi Anna". I could take it on a memory stick home with me or I could read it here in the shop he offered.


With nothing much else to do I decided to read it in the shop in the dark on his laptop which was still powered up. The page of writing began by thanking me for all the help I had been giving him with his book covers etc etc. Followed by how he would like to repay me. Oh, I thought, hoping the next sentence would read something along the lines of..."so here's a million pounds.."


But no, it was just going to tell me all about Allah.


What followed was a fairly detailed overview of life and the afterlife (if you made it that far) according to Islam. This was interesting, except from the part which informed me that I would burn in the Firey Pits of Hell should I ever deny the word of the Prophet Mohamed.


Well, I thought. What a lovely bit of light reading. I thanked him graciously and had a short conversation about where exactly I could find more information on the internet when the electricity comes back on.


I didn't not find this insulting, forceful or rude in any way. Isalm is a rich, virtuous religion and the many Muslims I have met in my life so far, all of them have been extremely kind and lovely people, Fathi being no exception.


The thing that unnerved me was not the fact that Fathi had decided to bestow upon me an enlightening introduction to his religion. What disturbed me the most was the fact that It made me realise that for the whole time we have known each other, somewhere along the line he must have come to the conclusion that I was in desperate need of reforming in some way.


The lights were still out by this time so I decided take my wayward self home. It took three times longer than usual as I had to pick up bread, meaning I had to cross the donkey gauntlet in pitch black, twice.


Finally I reached home with chicken shit on my shoes and crud up my legs from the inevitable sludge-filled pot-holes which lurked like wet poo traps in the road.


I did however manage to avoid falling into Hells Fire...which I was pretty thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment